BIKE & BUS ON MCT
Madison County Transit (MCT) has equipped all of its buses with bike racks to provide accessible connections between the MCT Trails and bus systems.
The Bike Racks Are...
- Safe – passengers load and unload bikes from the front of the bus, away from oncoming traffic.
- Secure – equipped to carry any bike with tires smaller than 700×38 (29” x 1 3/8”)
- Easy – loading is simple as 1, 2, 3!
- Fast – loading and unloading takes less than 20 seconds!
Now people throughout Madison County can simply bike and bus for transportation and recreation.
Bike Rack Loading Instructions
Before the bus arrives…
- Remove bottles, pumps, and other loose items from the bike that might fall when the bus is moving.
Once the bus stops…
- Inform the bus driver that you will be loading your bike.
- Move from the curbside to the front of the bus to load your bike.
Loading is easy as 1, 2, 3…
- Squeeze the handle up to release the latch and then pull the bike rack down.
- Lift your bike onto the rack, fitting the wheels into the labeled front and rear wheel slots.
- Pull the support arm over the top of the front tire and then release the arm to secure the bike.
Bike Rack Unloading Instructions
Once the bus stops…
- Inform the driver that you will be unloading your bike.
- Move from the curbside to the front of the bus to unload your bike.
Unloading is easy as 3, 2, 1…
3. Raise the support arm off the tire and move it all the way down until it is secured.
2. Lift your bike out of the rack and place it next to you.
1. Fold up the bike rack to the upright position until it locks, if there is no other bike on the rack.
- Bike racks are FREE to use, but passengers must pay the required bus fare.
- Bikes with child carriers or gasoline powered motors are not allowed on MCT bike racks. E-bikes are allowed.
- Bus drivers can provide verbal assistance with operating the bike racks only.
- Bikes are not allowed inside the bus under any circumstances.
- Bike racks can only accommodate two bikes, so please wait for the next bus if the bike rack is full.
- MCT is not responsible for injuries, or damaged or stolen bikes caused from using the bike rack.